The ‘Università dei Muratori, Scalpellini e Arti Congeneri’ is heir to and continuation of the ancient corporation of the Ars Magistrorum Laopidarum. Since 1891, when it was awarded municipal recognition it has been the trustee of the Ceri Festival. In this capacity it is responsible for electing the Captains of the Ceri who must be chosen from among its members. As owner and guardian of the statues of the Saints it provides for their restoration. Its church is the venue for the major religious events of the Festival and also for the convivial ones. Besides these activities it also provides mutual assistance for its members and undertakes charitable work. It promotes projects intended to preserve and carry on the crafts of masonry and stone-working.